#WeeklyChase: New beginnings, announcements, & my 5-year plan.

by Melissa on November 5, 2012

I’m pretty sure that the last time you heard from me was last week on Monday, yes?

Sorry for disappearing you.

I’ve had one whirlwind of a week, guys, and I have so much to share with you!

First, let’s get to the big news why don’t we?

As of Friday, I am a newly certified (NASM) personal trainer!

Many of you saw that I had posted on my Facebook page about the nasty comment I received last week (so amusingly hidden behind a fake name), and I may or may not write a post about that later this week, but I can tell you this: after seeing how unaffected I was by the comments (yes, there was more than one), I’m damn proud of how far I’ve come. Three years ago, I was 72 pounds heavier, putting in 50-hour work weeks (with 10 hours of additional commute time) working a job that made me miserable, and I had lost sight of my passion for life. It wasn’t until I set a goal for myself that I never thought I could achieve, that I finally started feeling my life being . Today, while I may still have some weight to lose, I’m confident in what I know and in what I can provide for others. I’m well on my way to where I want to be, and that brings me to the second half of my 5-year plan.

As many of you already know, I’m a photographer. Well, let’s rephrase that – a new photographer. I’ve had to put my photography on the back burned while I’ve been busy being a mom and being a student in school full-time for one program and studying on my own fortwo others. This madness was pretty much reflected in the lack of blogging I’ve done for the past couple of weeks! Now that one program is completed, I have two left to complete. Wee! However, the way it all works out right now, I have more time for photography. I spent this weekend treating myself to hours of sorting through and editing the photos from my session last Saturday. It. Was.Glorious!! I have a friend who has recently become a phenomenal photographer who spent some of her night chatting with me about all things photography, and after our conversation, I sort of went nuts. Hours of photoshop fun = a rekindled love affair. It all came back to me this weekend. Here’s a peek at one I got of my daughter:

Isn’t she beautiful?

I’ll have a legit website/blog up for my work, but for now, I would so grateful if you showed my Facebook page some love. Pretty please?

So, training (and nutrition) and photography: my two passions and the two parts of my 5-year plan. I’m in the beginning stages of planning, but I’m warning you here: you’ll be hearing a lot about where I hope to head in the days ahead. I’m a little overexcited. Haha.

In other news, these arrived on Friday just before my exam:

Wee! This made my day, and I’ve got a running post in mind…the perks of having been away for a while – lots of posts to write.

Let’s talk a little about goals now.

I’m feeling super refreshed, recharged, and ready to focus after the past month. I’ve been really good at sticking to my workouts, and while I could have been better with my eats, I’m still seeing a drop in weight. I’m heading in the right direction, and the one thing that stands out to me the most is my running. I haven’t been getting in any runs longer than three miles, but what I am seeing is that there is officially no more pain and my pace is slowly picking up. I’m not pushing to see the change in pace, but with the foam rolling, stretching, and strengthening, it’s coming naturally.

This week, I have a lot to do, but the one thing I know I want to keep consistent is my workout schedule. The one thing I’m learning is that even though I don’t have a full-time (paying) job, I still have to manage my time wisely. So, the one thing I’d like to focus on this week is coming up with a thorough schedule, just for me. One where I can fit school, mom things, wife things, workouts, photography, and writing into one day. I’m sure there are other things I’m forgetting. Haha. The goal is to be able to get things done and then be able to just be.Important stuff right there.

That’s it for now. You’ll be hearing plenty from me this week. ;)

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } November 5, 2012 at 6:30 am

Congrats Congrats Congrats!

Haters gonna hate.

I can’t wait to see what the world will open up for you now – such an exciting time!

Melissa November 5, 2012 at 9:56 am

Thanks, girl!!! I’m pretty excited to be moving forward into this phase of my life. :D

Ericka @ The Sweet Life November 5, 2012 at 7:43 am

WOW — this is a super motivating post! Congratulations on so many levels! I just liked your new FB page. It takes a LOT to change your life and you did. You are such an inspiration not only to those who need to lose weight or change jobs but even normally motivated people like me who need a bit more courage sometimes in things like jobs, non-fitness related goals. Thanks for sharing and yay!!

Melissa November 5, 2012 at 10:09 am

Thank you so much, friend. <3 This makes me smile!! I’m pretty dang proud of how far I’ve come, and I’ll always be striving to be better. You inspire me always, Ericka. Everything you stand for – I love surrounding myself with people like you!

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean November 5, 2012 at 7:48 am

congrats lady!!! so so proud of you!

Melissa November 5, 2012 at 10:09 am

Thanks so much, friend!!! :D I’ve missed you!!!

Mindy @Road Runner Girl November 5, 2012 at 8:34 am

Congratulations girl! I’m so proud of you and had no doubts you would do it! Your photography is gorgeous! I can’t wait to see more pictures from you!

Melissa November 5, 2012 at 10:11 am

Thank you so much, Mindy!!! It was a tough test! Tougher than I thought it’d be, at least! And thank you about my photography…there’s so much to learn still!!

Caitlin H November 5, 2012 at 11:24 am

Congrats lady!! This is all wonderful news :) I think it’s absolutely amazing that you recognized things you wanted to change and then actually acted on them! Too many people are content to just stay unhappy since it’s easiest, so you deserve major props for working on them! And for ignoring silly, ridic people!

Lina @MomsButtIsOnFire November 5, 2012 at 11:45 am

Awesome job!! I love seeing others reaching their goals, it inspire me to PUSH harder to reach mine!!! In the next year I will get my certification DONE too!! I’m excited, and scared! Lol!
I’ll stop by your new FB page. ;)

Mandy November 5, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Woohoo! Congratulations!!!

jobo November 5, 2012 at 1:00 pm

I am so happy for you and where you are right now, with fitness, with your certification (YAY!) and with photography! I so wish you lived here and could take pics for me…trying to convince M to get a couple of engagement photos taken, but he just rolls his eyes at me ;-) You take stunning pictures! and your girls, are absolutely beautiful, just like their mom :) <3

Tina @ Best Body Fitness November 5, 2012 at 1:11 pm

BIG BIG BIG congrats to you!!! I’m so excited for you and you goals. You deserve everything you put your heart to and I know you will accomplish it all…whatever it may be.

PS – Made sure to like your page.

PPS – What could someone possibly have negative to say about you? You’re such a wonderful, inspiring person! Ridiculous whoever put out negative comments here.

Heather (Where's the Beach) November 5, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Congrats girl – that’s so awesome. I love it when people follow their dreams! It’s a good reminder for me. You’ve worked your booty off for this. Hugs!

Jess November 5, 2012 at 4:59 pm

You are SUCH a talented photographer!! Seriously, you can tell you have such an eye for it in your pics, so beautifully composed! I used to do black and white photography, even took some adult education classes at night to learn to print my own stuff and LOVED it. Wish I stuck with it! BUT back to you, hehe — love all of this fresh, new, awesome stuff going on in your life — particularly the shift in perspective (not letting the hater get to you) and that you passed your NASM certification!! I had no doubt that you would :)

lindsay November 5, 2012 at 8:55 pm

two words, okay three…SO FREAKIN AWESOME!

love it!!

Steph November 5, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Aren’t those shoes the best?? I love them. Congrats to you! It sounds like you’ve really worked hard to accomplish some awesome stuff.

misszippy November 6, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Congrats all around! And I love the picture–you are talented!

So glad you aren’t sweating the nasty comment. I had a troll who followed me for a LONG time. I just kept hitting delete and spam until she finally went away. The energy she put into getting comments to me like that…amazing!

ilene November 6, 2012 at 7:45 pm

Congrats on getting your certification! I so admire you for going after your passions and not limiting yourself to one venue – but just going for it all – photography, training, blogging, etc. I have a lot of different interests and passions as well and am finally giving myself permission to explore all of them. You are quite a trail blazer. Thank you for the inspiration!

Alex @Food.Run.Fun. November 9, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Way to be positive and happy! Do what makes you happy and forget everyone else! You go girl!!!

Christine @ Love, Life, Surf November 9, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Congrats again – what for like the 4th time now? ;-) Seriously, it’s Friday and I’m only getting to your post now? Anyhow, clearly I’m in need of a schedule too. That’s been totally my downfall lately. I have a hard time focusing at home and all I end up doing is reading blogs, etc. rather than the stuff I’m supposed to do and then I get stressed. So that’s my plan – come up with a schedule that works for ME. We both deserve that, right?

You are a phenomenal photographer and I can’t wait to see what’s in store for you. Going over to like you FB page now. Will you teach me some photography tricks? That’s something that I want to spend some more time on as well. I love photography but just don’t know much about it and know that I’m totally not making the most ouf of my camera.

You are amazing and such an inspiration and whatever, haters are going to hate.

lindsay November 12, 2012 at 6:52 am

i knew would ACE that! WHOOP!