Weekly Chase: I’m a Half Marathoner!!!

by Melissa on July 23, 2012

Good morning guys!!! I had planned on writing up this post yesterday after the race, but I’ll be honest with you:

I ran. I showered. I slept. I ate. I slept some more. Haha. Oh, and there was some icing in there as well. I’m feeling pretty good today, despite the IT issue I had yesterday. I’m sore, but I’m not feeling like it was anything serious. We’ll see!

As a quick recap (I’ll get into it in more detail later),  but…

I am officially a half marathoner!!!

rock 'n' roll chicago 2012, rock 'n' roll chicago medal

I’m still basking in the glory of what I just did, and I have so much to share with you about how I feel, the best and worst part of the race, and all the great details. The one thing most of you already know is that I ended up slightly injuring myself between mile 10 and 11. I stopped to get a refill on the water, because we’d hit the hottest leg of the race – along 31st Street and Lake Shore Drive – and I felt my IT band suddenly scream at me the moment I started running again.

Of course, I tried running a few times – at different speeds, on different levels of ground, etc. Nothing seemed to help except running on the right side of the road, but only for a few seconds and it’d go nuts again. So, unfortunately, finishing in under 3 hours didn’t happen at a slow 16-minute pace (anything faster killed me). It sucked. I was pissed. I wanted to hit someone. I hated every second of those last 2.5 miles. The moment I saw the finish line, though, I started running. It somehow didn’t kill me…it hurt a little, and I had to stop once to walk, but for the last tenth of a mile, I sprinted…and cried the whole way. Hehe. I am not thrilled with my time, I’ll be honest, because I had 2:45 in my head. Instead, I had to settle for 3:02:51. Like I said, I’m not thrilled, but I finished with my heart. I harnessed the anger of getting slowed down and finished sprinting. I’m damn proud…and the bright side?

Oh that PR will be glorious in November. ;) (I’m thinking of it as this: took me longer this time, which means with some good training, I could really knock this out of the park.) Yes, that means I’ve registered for my second half! November 17th!

Goal #1: Taper!!! Check, checkity, check check!

Goal #2: Get my rest. Aside from the hilarious day we drove up here, I actually did get 8 hours of sleep every night before the race. Pretty stoked about that one, because I was worried I wouldn’t be rested up for it.

Goal #3: Race with heart. Oh man did I ever!!!! I’ve caught the bug. ;)

This week’s goals are going to be really simple, because I still have three days here in Chicago and then a long drive home. However, Starting Monday next week, it’s officially 30 days until I turn 30!!!! Which means that I have some major goals and some giveaways, especially for those of you that are involved in the Weekly Chase. :) So stay tuned for that!

Goal #1: Stretching. This goal is totally obvious, really. The one thing I’ve learned most from this race is the importance of stretching, so I’m on it now. I plan to stretch and/or do yoga at least 5 times this week.

Goal #2: Plan my mileage and cross training. My big plan for this next month is to strength train with some shorter runs that will occur more often during the week. I’m not thrilled with how I’ve felt after ditching consistent strength training sessions. I miss how strong I felt with Body for Life, and m upper body is in desperate need of some TLC. I do not want to hit the double digits runs until later, despite the fact that I’ve already run them. I’m pissed about my time, yes, but I will not be fueled by the need to prove something and over train.

Goal #3: Plan meals. I’m inspired by the Survive on $35 crew, and since I’m still not working, I would really like to start planning some healthy, cheap meals to save some money. There’s a possible third half marathon in sight right now, and it’ll be terribly expensive and involves some princesses…and a 5-year-old that wants to run the kiddos 1-miler. ;) Also, because we’re out in the country soon, drives to the grocery store will be more expensive and will occur less often.

Alright. There ya have it. Sorry the post was late, but I was recouping. ;) Thank you SO much for all the support…I can’t thank you enough. Every time I went to take pictures (that contributed to my time, I’m sure haha), my phone was filled with support…from FB, Twitter, and from texts. I read every single one of them. You’re all so amazing, and I have much love for every one of you.

Don’t forget to share the love!!!

jobo July 23, 2012 at 10:38 am

I am so proud of you! For one – pushing through, but smartly and not killing your IT band any further and two – for not being too mad at your time! Obviously, all things considered, you did amazing and really not that far off from the time you had in your head, EVEN with the walking you had to do at the end. That is awesome. I hate when people get mad at themselves over their time, no matter if injury related or what. Doesn’t matter. you FINISHED and strong!! and do I hear another half?? you are awesome!! can’t wait to hear more! REST UP!!!!!!!!!!

Melissa July 23, 2012 at 10:43 am

Of course I’m disappointed in my time, but it wasn’t related to training or my ability…so I had my pissy moment, sucked it up, limped my way through the hottest 2 miles of my life, haha, and finished strong. Finished running, and that’s what I wanted. This gives me a chance to plan more and hopefully beat that time in November. :) Thank you so much for being there for all of this Jo. You mean the world to me. :)

Heather (Where's the Beach) July 23, 2012 at 10:43 am

Congrats girl – can’t wait for the full recap. Man I would love to run that route. I adore Chicago. Definitely stretch and look up IT band-specific stretches and foam roll the crap out of it too!

erin July 23, 2012 at 10:47 am

Congratulations!!!! Don’t you feel amazing!!! You ran a 1/2 marathon…something most folks in the US have never done. You did it!!! Thank you for sharing your journey along the way!

Heather July 23, 2012 at 10:49 am

congrats! Isn’t it an amazing feeling?!? so proud of you!

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean July 23, 2012 at 10:56 am

congrats girl! so proud of you!!

ilene July 23, 2012 at 10:59 am

I am so flipping proud of you! I love that you raced with heart, despite not having the outcome you were looking for. I missed my target time by 20 minutes on my first half and had an IT issue during my second half. The tragedy in that was that I had been flying – and thought I was going to crush my targeted time. But like you, I held my head high and felt grateful to be a runner all the same.

Bask in the endorphins and enjoy xxoo

Jillian July 23, 2012 at 11:07 am

Congrats! That is such an amazing feat. You finished and that’s all that matters. You gave it your all and even if it wasn’t exactly what you wanted you are a half marathoner. You go girl!!!

Mindy Bobe July 23, 2012 at 11:08 am

I am sooooo stinkin proud of you!!!!!! What an amazing accomplishment that you will remember FOREVER!!!! Great job on your goals last week! And you can totally succeed in the ones this week! And I love the little hint hint in number 3!!!! I’m running that race so we HAVE to meet up if you decide to do it (which I really hope you do!!!) :-)

Michelle @Push.Pump.Progress July 23, 2012 at 11:09 am

whooo hoo! congrats on completing your first half!!! dont give your time a second thought you FINISHED! not too many people can say they have run 13.1 miles. huge accomplishment.

I totally recommend doing yoga a few days a week when training for a half or full marathon, it really helped me. I don’t stretch before a run though, I have read some literature that says it will increase chances of injury (and i agree) i always stretch after though! good luck training for your nov race! can’t wait to hear about it!

Liz Dawkins July 23, 2012 at 11:09 am

Way to go Melissa! That’s awesome you’ve already signed up for a second one! I’m looking into signing up for a half in November. We shall see. I’d love to do the Princess Half too! How fun!!

I love your goals for the week. Those are all things that I’m continuing to work on. I especially need to work on the healthier meals.. so hard on a budget!

Jess July 23, 2012 at 11:14 am

Girl, I KNEW you had this in you!! You just had to find that inner “I believe in me” moment and you’d be golden. And look what you did? What you accomplished after putting your mind to it and GOING for it. You are awesome!! I am SO proud of you and think its so cool that you already signed up for another one!! You’ve been bitten!!

Abby @ BackAtSquareZero July 23, 2012 at 11:30 am

Great job. Don’t worry about the time, just realize you did it. Woohoo!

Kylie Fouts July 23, 2012 at 11:31 am

Yay Melissa! Congrats on your 1st half! We both ran our 1st half on the same wknd!

Christy July 23, 2012 at 11:31 am

Way to go on finishing your first half! I know you are on cloud nine! Great job with your goals as well. Rest up and keep basking in the glory of the run!

Jess July 23, 2012 at 11:48 am

Hey! I’m a friend of Abby’s and came over to read her guest post. I also ran the Chicago Half this weekend! I didn’t do very well at all (nagging injuries), but remember, we just ran a freakin’ half-marathon! Don’t beat yourself up and get ready to beat that time in November. Congrats!

AmyC July 23, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Sorry to hear your IT lit up like that, but kudos to you for finishing through the pain.

Congrats on earning the bling ;)

Lisa @ RunWiki July 23, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Congratulations! I thought your time was incredible, heat always tacks on additional time, you were only 15 min off your mark… that is really amazing considering the conditions. SO happy for you. I can feel the your excitement.. Isn’t funny how the pain of race just disappears when you cross the finish line and we are all ready to sign up for another? love that about distance running. Looking forward to hearing about your next.

Faith @ For the Health of It July 23, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Congrats Melissa! I’m sure this next training cycle will put you in line for your 2:45!

Krysten Siba Bishop (@darwinianfail) July 23, 2012 at 2:27 pm

CONGRATS!! I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU!! You did it! The first run is such a huge accomplishment, so you need to bask in every minute of it! YOU ARE A HALF MARATHONER! SO so so proud of you!

Tina @ Best Body Fitness July 23, 2012 at 2:34 pm

You did GREAT! The first is rough and you have to race with your heart. You will PR next time, but this experience is still so worth it. Be proud of yo

Laura @ Mommy Run Fast July 23, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Yay!! Congrats on finishing, especially since you had to push through some pain. What a great feeling of accomplishment, isn’t it? I love that you “caught the bug”– and you’re right, you will crush your time at the next one!

Christine @ Love, Life, Surf July 23, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Congratulations!!! So very proud of you! Yes, you did finish with your heart and I think that that’s the most important thing. There will always be another race but nothing like your first. xoxo

Heather@Just a Colorado Gal July 23, 2012 at 5:54 pm

You will do awesome in November! Now that you know you can finish the distance, you’ll just be knocking off PRs left and right. Congrats!

Kierston July 23, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Congratulations!!!! So awesome girl!!! Love the new hardware :)

Becca July 24, 2012 at 9:53 am

CONGRATS!!!!! What a huge accomplishment!!!

Kim @ Sweet Heart Eats July 24, 2012 at 11:16 am

Congrats on such an awesome accomplishment, girly! You have come such a long way. You should be very proud of yourself!! I know I am! XO

Michelle @ Running with Attitude July 24, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Congrats half marathoner!! Sorry the ITB didn’t cooperate but you did it!! And I love that you’re already planning for the next one :)

Amanda L. July 24, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Congrats Melissa!! I am so happy for you and proud of you that you completed your first half! What a great accomplishment!!

Courtney July 26, 2012 at 12:25 pm

great great job! bummer on your IT band, those things can be little boogers sometimes!

Kate July 27, 2012 at 5:43 am

Congratulations!!! Mentally, that half marathon is such a huge barrier – keep going, you;re going to see one PR after another :-)

Lauren @ Part Time House Wife July 28, 2012 at 12:02 am

Congrats!!! Such an accomplishment! Now you’re totally going to kill your next race because you already know you can do it! Good luck in your training plan and healing those muscles!