Weekly Chase: Clean Eating & The July #AbChallenge

by Melissa on July 2, 2012

It’s Monday morning, and you know what that means!!!

It’s Weekly Chase time! Last week, I had a better turnout that I expected, and I can’t thank you ladies (Christine, Jolene, Amanda, Molly, Ilene, Sarah, Mindy, Holly, & Michelle) for participating. I can’t wait to see how you did this week!!! (By the way, I’m super impressed with how you ladies truly did link up and support each other…that’s what this is all about, and it makes me so happy!)

So let’s talk about those goals, shall we? Last week, I posted these goals as my initial post.

Goal #1: Run all scheduled runs this week.

Goal #2: Start a real, legit food journal.

Goal #3: Stay on track with my strength training and do all scheduled yoga sessions.

How’d they go? Not as planned. There are some reasons, and I’ll tell ya why. Goal #1 didn’t happen simply because of the weather!!!

hot summer, virginia heat, heat wave

If the heat didn’t stop me, it was the storm that hit Friday night. I was sitting here trying to figure some blog stuff out, and I heard something slam into the side of my house. At pretty much the same instant, it sounded like a train was coming right for my house…and I threw my kids in the tub.

tornado, kids in tub, take cover

I’ll tell you more about that fiasco later. Long story short, about 2.5 million people are without power right now because of this storm. (Come to find out, there were more tornadoes out in the Williamsburg area last night. For crying out loud.) So…my gym was is still closed. No treadmill and 103º heat (without the heat index). Running did not happen, again. I missed two runs. I’ve got to buckle down this week – I’ve got a 12-miler planned.

Goal #2 happened, and I decided to buy a new notebook, because I honestly didn’t like writing in the one I already had. I’m picky about my notebooks and planners. So, goal achieved, and I have a new notebook to start July off right.

Goal #3…mostly happened. I missed a yoga session and one strength session. I did most of it, though! I have a plan to tackle everything, and it requires an early wake-up time. (By the way…I am beginning to see shoulder definition!!!!)

This week, I have some new goals. I’m sure some of you read my frustrating, rather whiny post on weight loss the other day, and while I feel bad that you had to hear it, it goes to show you, none of us are perfect and we definitely have our days. I’m over it and I have a way to get through it. (Along with some amazing reminders of how far I’ve come.)

Goal #1: Clean eating. I kind of fell off the bandwagon a bit after some the barbeques we’ve had/been to, I’ve lost track of my eating habits. This is why I started the food journal. It was a good wake-up call, because I realized I was starting to move away from clean eating and toward old habits. I know where my problems lie: pasta and bread. So, I’m going clean paleo. We’ll talk about that more this week.

Goal #2: Early to bed, early to rise. I’m giving myself a bedtime. 10PM ideally, no later than 11PM. This is so I can wake up at 6AM to blog and be out the door by 7:30AM for a run or for yoga. It’s easy for me to do strength training with the kids around or at the gym, but running and yoga are two things I love and cannot do with distractions and need to be done early.

Goal #3: Start the July #AbChallenge. It’s no secret I’m always peeved about my waist. It’s been a problem area for me since I was young, and I’m bound and determined to defy genetics. This is one way I hope to do that. There’s a short abs workout for every day of the month, and I’ll be doing my best to keep up.

My schedule for the week:

Monday: 5-mile run & lower strength

Tuesday: rest

Wednesday: 12-mile run & upper strength

Thursday: yoga

Friday: 5-mile run & lower strength

Saturday: 3-mile run & upper strength

Sunday: 5-mile run & lower strength

**Note: The lower body strength training that I’m going to do is going to be light from now until race day. I’m going strictly uncomplicated, large-muscle moves (squats, deads, curls, lunges) with dumbbells. As soon as training is over, I’ll chill out on the heavy mileage and focus more on heavy weight.

There ya have it! What are your goals for this week? Join the Weekly Chase!!!

**Please don’t forget to show some love on the others!**

Michelle July 2, 2012 at 7:36 am

It looks like we live in the same general area (I’m in Maryland)! When we lost power Friday night I was laying in bed with my phone checking to see if there were any tornado warnings (crazy storm). My husband was away so I was going through a plan in my head should I hear the “freight train”.

My workouts were indoors, too. I hit the pool and machines at the gym. 103 is way too hot!

Faith @ For the Health of It July 2, 2012 at 8:36 am

Geeze, the tornado had to be so scary. Glad your family is okay though! I need to join you on the “complete all scheduled runs” goal. I’ve been slacking pretty terribly myself and need to get it into gear if I ever want to see any progress!

ilene July 2, 2012 at 9:01 am

One of my goals is centered around sleep too – because when the basics go out the window, nothing else works for me! I am not in the Abs challenge per se but I have gone vegan for the month of July and already feel a huge difference from eating cleaner.

Keep up the yoga, babe!

Christine @ Love, Life, Surf July 2, 2012 at 10:07 am

That storms sounds CRAZY!! But glad that you all are OK. Like you and Ilene, one of my goals is around sleep too. I’ve been going to sleep way too late. I need to be better about getting to bed earlier but it’s hard – the allure of the quiet and peace at night when everyone else is sleeping. Great job this past week!

Mindy @Road Runner Girl July 2, 2012 at 10:40 am

WOW! SO glad you are ok…those storms sound super scary! Great job last week and great goals this week! Talking about your strength training…that’s one of my goals for this week…starting out slow but going to do it!

Molly @Lancaster MRTT July 2, 2012 at 11:51 am

The storm sounds like it was so scary. I’m happy to hear that you are all safe! Great job with your goals last week. You set some nice goals with realistic expectations for yourself this week! I really like how you post your schedule for the week and decided to add it to my Weekly Chase posts too. By the way I totally get the need for a new notebook. I’m ridiculously picky with my office supplies. A food journal is the perfect excuse for a new notebook!

jobo July 2, 2012 at 4:10 pm

I love that you are recapping where you were last week vs. goal and this week. I wonder though, if you are piling on too many goals in one week and it’s hard to really achieve them all that quickly? I think you might be more successful picking one for a month and really knocking it out of the park, than 3 PER WEEK. Or even one per week and knocking it out and then continuing with that one goal and adding another the next week and so on. Girl you are an overachiever and sometimes I think that gets us to a fault. I am speaking from experience of course :-) ANYWAY. you did awesome and you are recognizing habits and patterns and applying them! As for the food log, you like writing them down? I so prefer an app, way easier! But some like to write I guess, not me ;-) XOXO

Charissa July 3, 2012 at 12:15 am

Awesome goals! I need to do some more ab work in my life…love throwing it in the mix of other workouts!

Sarah July 4, 2012 at 1:00 am

Since I missed the link up deadline tonight, I will post my li here for my Weekly chase goals!

I love the bedtime idea! It’s a great way to make sure you are ready fot the following day and up and prepared for the day ahead of you :) If only I could guarantee I’d be home from work at 10pm, let alone be in bed ;/