Weekly Chase Monday: tracking & staying on schedule.

by Melissa on June 25, 2012

Good mornin’!!!

Would you believe I’m finally getting a hang of a semi-regular blogging schedule? I’m tryin’ really hard to tame my scatterbrainedness. (Yep. Totally made that word up!)

I have a few things that I have to tell you about, and one will be in my next post for your weekly runspiration. It totally made my day yesterday, and it involved the kindness of a stranger and what he had to tell me. I honestly didn’t know what I was going to write for the post until this happened…and that, my friends, is proof that inspiration can come anytime, from anywhere.  I’ll be getting on that later today. First, though, I want to make sure that everyone to whom I promised the Strawberry Avocado Salsa recipe knows I posted it on Saturday! Second, I wrote a really important post yesterday explaining a project I’d really like to get moving on, and it’s called The Weekly Chase. <–You can read the post here, obviously, but in short – I’m really hoping to prove that there is incredible power in support systems. I’ve vlogged about it. I’ve posted about it. The incredible support system that has been created by a number of incredible women (and men) and me is nothing short of amazing. Knowing that there are so many of you out there rooting for me and the half marathon for which I finally set a date has been exactly what I’ve needed. With The Weekly Chase, I’m hoping to link bloggers up with other bloggers in attempts to start showing that there is power in numbers. There’s so much nastiness out there, and I’ve got proof that there’s so much more kindness. I just need your help by being a part of it! You in?

Let’s get the goal-chasin’ party started, eh?

I’ve missed a couple of runs during my training, and because of this heat, I’m having a harder time getting outside to run. I’m thanking God that my second half marathon is scheduled for November. There’s a scheduled 99º-er this coming week, and I’m not thrilled about this.

Goal #1: Run all scheduled runs this week. I need to make sure that if I can’t get outside, that I hit the gym for the shorter runs. Luckily, I have my long run of 11 miles scheduled for Tuesday and the high is only supposed to be around 79º. (Cross your fingers for me, please?)

Recently, we’ve had several cookouts to attend and my nearly-perfect clean eating has kind of fallen flat. I’ve been really great about the whole moderation bit, because I don’t believe in “cheat meals“, but I’d like to take advantage of the less-than-busy next four weeks to fuel my body with clean, whole foods in preparation of my first 13.1. (Four weeks. That’s it! Four weeks. PUMPED!)

Goal #2: Start a real, legit food journal. I need to track what hits these lips. I’m getting the feeling that I’m actually eating less than I should, especially on long-run days. I’m quickly realizing that I’m less hungry on days that I run (I may have mentioned this a while ago, too) and have a tendency to skimp on the fuel. On the days I’m not running, I feel hungrier. I need to start balancing out my meals.

I’m going to be completely and utterly honest here. I’m losing weight. (Yeee!) However, I’m not seeing much change in the shape of my body, and I know why. Lack of strength training. I’ve been strictly running, and I had attempted to start out on some Physique 57 workouts. My living room is far too small for that stuff. No room to kick. No room to raise my hands up without hitting a ceiling fan. Luckily, in a couple of months, I’ll be living in a new house with really high ceilings and tons of room in the living room. Watch out, honey…if the room starts looking like a yoga studio, I apologize. I just can’t help myself! Tee hee. This past week, I actually printed a calendar and highlighted all of my scheduled workouts.I also started an official weight/stats tracker, because I’d like to see what changes happen now that I’m focusing on getting the strength training in.

workout schedule, workout calendar

tracking weight, weight tracker, weight loss, body stats

Goal #3: Stay on track with my strength training and do all scheduled yoga sessions. I got a couple of abs and upper body workouts in this past week, but I did miss a few. I actually made up a pretty kickass workout if you’d like to check it out. It left me feeling every inch of my abs, that’s for sure.

My schedule for this week:

Monday: upper body & abs

Tuesday: 11-mile run

Wednesday: upper body & abs

Thursday: 5-mile run, yoga

Friday: 3-mile run, upper body & abs

Saturday: rest (& maybe some yoga)

Sunday: 12-mile run (this gets me back on schedule with race day after the mid-week long run for the Longest Day)

There ya go. My goals for this week. Nothing too crazy. Just some things to aim for as far as getting back on track and situated and for tracking purposes. I’m looking forward to hopefully markin’ those babies off as chased down and achieved!

**Please don’t forget to show some love on the others!**

Fancy Nancy June 25, 2012 at 7:33 am

This is an awesome idea!!! I tweeted!! This heat is definitely hard to run with but it becomes a game to beat the heat for me! Running early works pretty well. Good luck! My goal this week is ice cream only ONCE this week (seriously I’m pregnant not an ice cream tester!) I also plan for 3 strong days of weights and 20 miles run! Here we go Monday!

Melissa June 28, 2012 at 3:35 pm

You should link up next week, Nancy! Especially as a pregnant momma…there are a lot of you out there right now striving to stick with goals! (And I LOL’ed at the ice cream tester comment…I’ve been there. Even when I wasn’t pregnant. Haha.)

Christine @ Love, Life, Surf June 25, 2012 at 7:48 am

Love your goals Melissa! You are doing a great job with your half marathon training (even in all this heat!) and losing weight but you’re so right, strength training is so important. I’m excited to be a part of this!

Melissa June 28, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Thanks, Christine. <3 And thank you so much for doing this with me…it means the world to me.

And yes…the strength training. It’s helping my upper body, for sure. I do, however, need to work lower body strength in with it…I’m just not sure how I will with training!

Krysten Siba Bishop (@darwinianfail) June 25, 2012 at 8:54 am

GREAT GOALS! You know I love your calendars! xox

Melissa June 28, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Hahaha, I’d always made my calendars that way, and when I saw yours, it was like dejavu! It reminded me to try that all over. :D

ilene June 25, 2012 at 9:01 am

I love this idea of goal sharing and support! I will be sure to join in with this link up!

Jess June 25, 2012 at 9:15 am

REALLY really glad to see you focusing in on some weight training work while half marathon training. It is SUCH a trap a lot of runners fall into and I hate to see it – the all running all the time with no regard to strength training. Sure, it takes more focus to fit it in, but it can be done, just like you laid out here. The only piece of advice I’d offer is to please, please, please not ignore your legs when you’re strength training. Keep those knees safe by building strong and happy hammies and glutes!

PS I’m with you on the feeling less hunger on long run days. Totally happened to me on Friday after my 10-miler. Yet yesterday I taught a class but didn’t run and I was RAVENOUS all day. Go figure, right??

Melissa June 28, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Yes…the perfect word for it is RAVENOUS. That’s why I’m trying to balance running with the strength training…I don’t want to be sitting on my ass eating all day. Ugh!

As for the legs…I know…I need to figure out when to do them. Maybe on the shorter run days? We’ll see. I’ll finagle with it. :D

Amanda @RunToTheFinish June 25, 2012 at 9:52 am

great job!! i a have been a distance runner for YEARS and am realizing my lack of strength training actually kept me from a few goals. so now that i just finished my A race i’m doing a major shift in focus to weights for a bit…we shall see!

Melissa June 28, 2012 at 3:59 pm

I’ve heard that MANY times…about how ST makes it easier to reach running goals. I need to focus on that. (I also think this’ll help with the weight loss, too.)

jobo June 25, 2012 at 11:57 am

You have some big goals for this first edition of weekly chase!! I love them though and know you can totally do these, and then some. This week, every week. I am the opposite when I run – MORE hungry, not less. You are so intuitive and you know where you are lacking in the fueling department, so the more you work towards better fueling and not skimping, the better! your body will thank you! XOXO!

Melissa June 28, 2012 at 3:53 pm

They’re a start, that’s for sure. I’m just trying to establish some habits.

You know, that’s funny…Elle just wrote today that she gets the same way…and gained weight during training. I tried to have lunch with H the other day right after the run…just wasn’t happening like usual!

Mindy Bobe June 25, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Great goals Melissa! I know you will achieve them! And I love how you printed and color coordinated your workouts on the calendar!!! I’m so excited about this…such a great idea!

Melissa June 28, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Thank you thank you! I’m so glad you linked up Mindy! I’m hoping you all find this as useful as I have!

Brad Gouthro June 25, 2012 at 4:09 pm

You are organized and ready for RESULTS! Go get it!

Melissa June 28, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Oh I’m gonna!

Kerri O June 25, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Wow, what a schedule! I’m impressed.

Melissa June 28, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Hehe, it’s sticking to it that I need to make sure of! :D So far so good!

ilene June 25, 2012 at 9:38 pm

I am super impressed by your workout schedule and your commitment to fitness. Can’t wait to hear how you progress! And do your yoga! (I’m a yoga teacher – so here is where I get a little preachy – but it’s a well intended preachy) Glad to be part of the link up!

Melissa June 28, 2012 at 3:50 pm

And you’re doing an awesome job gettin’ on me about my yoga! ;)

Molly June 25, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Hi! I’m a new mom, new blogger, and new runner. I have been following your blog for awhile and admiring from afar :) I am really excited to be a part of The Weekly Chase. Thanks for putting it together!

Melissa June 28, 2012 at 3:32 pm

And I loved your goals…thank you for linking up, and I can’t wait to see how your week went!!

Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life June 26, 2012 at 12:16 am

This is an amazing idea! Good luck on your goals and I think I will be joining in next week! I know I am much more accountable when there are other people following along with me.

Melissa June 28, 2012 at 3:30 pm

I hope you do join in!!! I’d love to see you link up! And you’re right…I’m so much more accountable when I know people are there watching and cheering me on!

Holly June 26, 2012 at 11:49 am

I am new to blogging and fairly new to running. I am in the process of training for my 1st Half Marathon. I found your blog through Mindy @ Road Runner Girl. I will be following your blog now, I love the weekly chase idea!!

Melissa June 28, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Awesome!!! Thank you so much for the follow! <3 I loved your fitness bucket list.

When’s your first half?? I’ll follow along and lift you up when you need it…I’m ALL about it!